Friday, July 06, 2007

Last 2 Days...then Home Sweet Home!!

So, Friday was kind of a slow day. We went to Central Park again and I got to run around the reservoir...equally pretty on Friday. Then we wandered back to the hotel and got cleaned up. We ate lunch at Houston's. Missy was so glad to be eating somewhere where we couldn't see the street, which is a funny commentary on the rest of our trip. I guess all the places we ate at were either outside or near the window, which would have been my doing, since I love to be outside. So, Houston's was great, as always. They have these in New Orleans and Houston, so it wasn't too much special, although I was sad that they did not have my favorite, Baked Potato Soup. Then we meandered down to Times Square so Laury could see the building where David Letterman is filmed and we went into the Hello Deli, which is very tiny. We were only in there for like 6 seconds and I was on the phone, so I don't remember much, but I think that Rupert G was there.



For some reason, we decided to go see a movie. And somehow we ended up in a not great part of town. I forget why...it's taken me so long to write this up that my memory is fuzzy on this detail. But we got there too early and we were exhausted, so we went into a McDonald's just to sit for a while. This was a 2-story McDonald's (not unusual...there is one at the corner of St. Charles and Louisiana in New Orleans), but the odd thing I noticed is that this McDonald's DELIVERS. Have you ever heard of such? Who is so lazy that they can't get to a McDonald's??? They're on freaking every corner...even in NYC! Of course, this reminded me of the episode of Seinfeld where Elaine pretends to be the Janitor of a building so this Chinese restaurant will deliver food to her. Also on that episode, Kramer adopts a mile of highway and makes it two lanes instead of four and it causes a big traffic jam...hysterical!

So, back to our trip. When we got to the movie theater, there was a little old man yelling at people to get in line. This theater had like 4 screens and the movie times were set up so that only one movie was ever starting at one time (not like the mega cinema plexes we have in Houston!). So, there just wasn't really much need for crowd control. AND it was like the 4:00 show, so the crowd was pretty much a bunch of people over 30...not your everyday houligans. But this man was serious about us being in line. And he really did YELL at a man (a grown man who was dressed in cackies and a polo) whose wife was buying their tickets while he stood in line. Apparently that is not kosher. Fortunately she walked up with the tickets so the old man didn't kick them out of line. Craziness...we decided that this old man should hook up with the lady from the theater we were at for Chicago...quite a Nazi couple you'd have, there!

We went to see the movie Knocked Up. I must say that it was pretty crude. I honestly liked the story and character development, but it was too over the top. I know, I know, I'm too old-fashioned or whatever you want to call it, but it really was just too much for me to absorb in my little protected mind. When we got done, we headed back to the hotel and ate pizza at a random place two blocks from the hotel, then back to the room. We rented Catch and Release on the hotel TV. I had already seen this movie and liked it just as much the second time around!

Saturday morning, we got up somewhat early. We went for our usual "breakfast" (I got a double chocolate chip brownie every day) and realized that we had not bought ANY souvenirs. So, we went looking for a shop and, turns out, there was a street fair one block over from our hotel. We bought all our souvenirs in less than 10 minutes! And I think we did pretty good because we got some different stuff...not just the normal "I Heart NY" T-shirts and such. Driver came to pick us up. I was really stressed out about it because I had gotten the flight time wrong (flight was at 3:15 instead of 4:00), but we made it. We had the same driver from Sunday, so he asked about our trip, etc. When we got to the airport, our flight was delayed due to weather somewhere. We were connecting in Baltimore. They held our plane for us. Good thing because we were all ready to get home. You know how, when something is going to happen, you're just ready for it to happen? I had a great time on the trip, but I was ready to be home. Got home and immediately went to Jamie's house to play poker...fun times and great to be back with my dear sweet friends who held up the game until I got there. I came in second...I am really liking poker!

1 comment:

Christy said...

Yay pictures! It sounds like y'all had a great time. Glad you had a safe trip!