Thursday, January 31, 2008

A Day of Extremes

I started the day pretty stressed out. I had to go to a funeral in the middle of the day, so I had to dress for it. For some reason, I waited until this morning to decide what to wear, which took me 30 minutes. This may be typical for a lot of people, but not for me. I have clothes that all match each other, for the most part, so I don't have to do a lot of deciding in the morning. But, alas, that was not the case this morning. I had to wear something that was (1) good for a funeral , (2) appropriate for work, (3) comfortable, and (4) looked good. Not a simple task. I finally settled on a black dress with a button-down shirt under it and a suit jacket. The fun part of it is that I didn't realize that this particular suit jacket matched this dress. So, I get a prize for my 30 minutes of dedicated clothes-trying-on...a new matching outfit!

The weather was mild and cloudy when I finally left for work. Then, mid-morning, there was a tornado watch. I was a little concerned for my safety in my office with two walls of windows. It was very dark outside. But I survived. The weather decided to settle in on cloudy and I left in the middle of the day to go to the funeral.

The funeral was, in itself, a case of extremes. The deceased was the mother of a man I work with. The service was in a Catholic church, but part of the family is Jehovah's Witness. I apparently sat on the Jehovah's Witness side because, when they had communion, no one on my side of the church (including me) got up to receive it. There were several interesting things about the ceremony. I'm way too observant sometimes and way too critical all the time, so I won't say anything else.

So, the weather cleared up and, by the end of the day, was crisp and clear and gorgeous and sunny and beautiful. I was very surprised when I walked outside and it was really cold. I was racing out of the office to get to my class at the gym. But it was so beautiful that I went running instead. This was a bonus...I would never have left the office at this time except to go to my class. Once I walked outside, I had to go run! Such a blessing.

I started the day stressed and with clouds in the sky, had some stormy weather in the middle, and ended it crisp and clear and feeling so refreshed. What a great day!

No comments: