Friday, January 11, 2008

What a Week of New Things!

Not intentionally, I have started 2 new things this week...salsa lessons and world affairs.

On Tuesday night, I went to my first salsa lesson. I think I might actually be able to do this. It's at a cool dance studio on the other side of town. They have lessons 7 days a week. I'm signed up for 4 weeks of Beginning Salsa. My friend Jana is going, too. The first night was uneventful, but neat. We spent over half the time learning the moves kind of in place. The rest of the time, we rotated through dancing with partners. This was a good thing because quite a few of the guys aren't all that great and a lot of them have bad breath. Hello...they provide peppermints for us for a reason. Oh well, I still had a great time.

Then, Wednesday night, I went to a presentation and reception at the Houston World Affairs Council. I've been a member of this organization for about 6 months, but haven't made it to an event, yet. They have speakers about 3 times a week, but my schedule has been crazy. Anyway, I made time this week because I was very interested in the topic. It was "The Putin Generation: How Russian Youth See Their World". The speakers were experts on Russia. It was sooo interesting. After the main session (which had over 500 people), there was a reception at another location for the Young Professional Group of the council. The speakers came and had a less formal discussion about it. It was so neat! Of course, I knew nothing about anything they were saying. I think next time I go, I'll try to read up on the topic before I go so I can at least ask intelligent questions.

Apparently, I'm expanding my horizons and I didn't even plan on it! Tomorrow is a jewelry-making class in the Heights!

1 comment:

Michelle said...

"the other side of town" -- does that mean league city? just kidding. how fun. the Y has a new class i'm going to join; fitness tap. i'm pumped. :)