Sunday, January 27, 2008

January Fun

Whew...it has been quite a month and I got so busy I didn't get around to blogging (big surprise, huh?). Well, I'll hit the highlights...

I finished the Houston Half-Marathon in 2:19:21, which is my best time in a half-marathon. I ran the whole thing...didn't stop at all to walk or stand, which makes it the longest I've ever run without stopping or walking. It was a perfect day and I was very blessed to have my friends Jill and Mandy there to cheer me on. They ran the 5K and did awesome in it! The night before the marathon, my sweet friends Heather and David cooked us dinner to "carb up" for the race. It was the nicest thing! And dinner was fantastic...David cooked us giant steaks on the grill and Heather made veggies and we had a lovely salad and some delicious bread. It was great!


Also that weekend, I got to go wedding dress shopping with Barb (Barb is engaged!!) and it was great. I'm not much help because, for every dress she tried on, I said "That's beautiful." She managed to find the perfect dress at a different store : ). Rachel and I took a beading class through leisure learning that same weekend...it was so cool! I really like doing crafty stuff! I also managed to fit in a birthday party for 4 friends and going to an open house. Speaking of open house, I am searching for a house to buy. It is quite stressful for me because I have lots of constraints (all of which I put on myself, of course). I have "fallen in love" with 2 houses and they both immediately went under contract to someone else. So, I am trying to wait patiently for the perfect house. The crazy part is that I don't want to buy a house until April, so I don't know why I'm suddenly so determined to find and purchase one now. But, that's the mystery that is Jenny : ) !


The weekend after the marathon, I had a somewhat low-key (although busy) weekend. We did Friday night dinner at Tookies (best hamburgers in the whole wide world!) and I watched Out of Africa for the first time. It is a very scenic, romantic movie and it's one of Maradee's favorites. Since I had never seen it, we watched it together. It was pretty good, but I'm more of a romantic comedy kind of person, you know? Anyway, I also got to catch up with Liz that weekend. We scrapbooked together all day at her apartment (aren't we geeks?) and it was great. I made lots of progress on one of my scrapbooks and had a lovely time catching up on what's going on with she and Heath. That same day, I also squeezed in salsa lesson and the symphony. This was a great symphony performance. It opened with a Beethoven piece, which I think was my favorite of the night. They had a visiting cellist for a cello concerto. After intermission, they did a "Music plus Vision" piece where there was a photo montage along with the music. It was very beautiful. Although I must admit that it was so relaxing the my eyes were drooping quite a bit. A few of us braved the cold to go to Hard Rock for dessert afterwards, too...yummy!


This weekend has been equally low-key, but busy. Friday night, I hung out with Barb. I helped her make a dessert that was kind of complicated. Fun times catching up and seeing how much she has gotten done on sprucing up the townhouse...it looks so different than when I lived there! Saturday we celebrated Maradee's birthday with one of her favorite things...dim sum. Even though Houston is so diverse, we had to drive across town to find a place that served real dim sum (with the carts). There was a small group of Maradee's close friends and we had a wonderful time...figuring out what all the food was and trying new things. Maradee had a good time, which is the important part : ) !


I also managed to go to another salsa lesson yesterday afternoon and then met up with a group to see Jersey Boys, which is part of the Broadway in Houston series. It was awesome. Erika and I were the only ones in the group that loved it, but we did. It had all this 50's style music and I loved it. I didn't realize how many great songs The Four Seasons had sung!

Today was church and lunch and then I (miracles will never cease) took an actual nap!!! It was heavenly!

OK, that's probably more details than any of you wanted to know. So, farewell for now. If you'd like to see pictures of my escapads, check out my Picasa albums at: http://picasaweb.google.com/jenzu2417

No comments: