Saturday, March 13, 2010

Fasting and Feasting

At New Years' this year, I decided that I needed to get my healthy eating (or lack there of) back in check. Problem was I was training for that marathon and I didn't want to mess up my routine. I know what you're thinking...why wouldn't you want to eat healthier before a marathon? That is true, I should. The thing is, I intended to change my diet a little more drastically than just "eat healthier" and I didn't want the drasticness (is that a word?) to impact my running.

So, I held off...until the marathon was over. As of March 1, I started what is called the Daniel Fast or Daniel Diet. It is a scripture-based diet of natural foods. I'm not doing it for spiritual reasons...just to get a little healthier. I've been on it for 12 days now and I can definitely tell a difference in how I feel. The gist of it is to eat no animal products (aka vegan!) or sweetened foods or drinks. So, I'm fasting from meats, cheese, sour cream, cream cheese, chocolate, and on and on.

But I'm feasting on so many veggies and fruits and finding new ways to get protein and calcium. It's a fun little game to play. I have to admit...I've cheated about five times (sometimes sausage jambalaya and/or chocolate are just calling your name and you have to answer; it's only polite!). But, I've been pretty good and I've even requested special food at work lunches. I'm just as satisfied with my meals and so much less dragged down by them.

I am also fasting from Facebook. Again, not 100% successfully and not for any deep spiritual or moral reason. I just find that I spend too much time on it. The thing is, I love seeing what is going on in the lives of my friends and I feel a little selfish checking out for a while.

But I have managed to fill the time with lots of other things. I really have no idea how I would have fit an hour of Facebook into every night over the last two weeks! I was busy enough with what I am doing. I'm feasting on reading a good book (Just Walk Across the Room by Bill Hybels), watching my TV shows (I said I wasn't checking out of Facebook for any deep reason!), and hanging out with friends. So it's been good times.

In the meantime, since I'm off Facebook, feel free to email and let me know how your life is going. If you've eaten a good steak lately, leave that part out. Jealousy is an evil thing : ).

1 comment:

Mitzi and Jerry said...

Glad to see that you are blogging again! - Mitzi