Monday, October 13, 2008

Simple Sights

Today, I met a friend of mine for lunch. To get to the restaurant (which is worthy of it's own blog post), I had to drive about 12 miles on country roads. I wish I had a camera with me. Here is my description of some of the "simple" things I saw that made me smile:

+Two older gentlemen sitting in the side yard of a house, shaded by a portable metal building, with laundry drying on a line close by, whipping in the wind. I wanted to pull over and ask them what they were talking about. Here is what I think they were saying:

Man #1: "Weather sure is nice today."
Man #2: "Sure is. It's supposed to get hot this afternoon."
Man #1: "Yeah. Humid too."
Man #2: "MmHmm"
Silence for at least 5 minutes.

+An American flag blowing in the breeze on what appeared to be a 2" PVC pipe in front of a kind of run-down house.

+A white picket fence in front of a long line of houses that were very clearly not part of any neighborhood development project...just neighbors who wanted a white picket fence.

Nothing exciting, just things that I like to see are still somewhere in the world, even if they're not really a part of my world.

1 comment:

jenn said...

THAT's the reason I LOVE taking drives in the country. (or just long drives anywhere) I totally enjoy seeing 'smalltown America'! :) Thanks for sharing your trip.