Monday, October 06, 2008

It's Been Too Long...

Yet again, I have failed in my blogging. I can't begin to go into all the details since July, so I'll hit the hightlights.

Barb Got Married! One of my former roommates and dear friends got married in Houston on August 9th. It was a beautiful ceremony and a lovely reception at my favorite restaurant in Houston, Brennan's (which burned down during Hurricane Ike). The cake was the coolest thing ever! Barb's co-worker Devanshi made and decorated it and it was so neat. I'll try to add a picture later.

New Job. I got transferred to my company's Mont Belvieu Plastics Plant as the Maintenance Supervisor. I started on September 1 (just in time for Ike!) and am getting adjusted to a different site. I had been in Baytown for 6 years, so it's a change for me. It's going fine, though. My official title is Mont Belvieu Plastics Plant Maintenance Section Supervisor. I have 70 people reporting up to me...yikes!

College Football is Back!! In case you didn't know, I LOVE college football. It's second only to tennis in my list of sports that I love to watch. Since my team is LSU, it's been an uneventful season. This coming Saturday will be the biggest test so far this season. Unfortunately, I won't be able to watch it live (birthday party at the same time), so I'll DVR it and come home and watch it at midnight. If you know the score, don't call or text me before Sunday afternoon!!!

Hurricane Ike. As you may or may not have heard, there was a hurricane that hit Houston. It was very bad for some people, but not so bad for most of us. I was very fortunate and didn't have any damage to speak of, just no power for 2 days and a little fence damage (very minor...I haven't even touched it to fix it!). I'll write another blog later this week with the random details of my Ike adventure. In case you have never ridden out a hurricane or had to evacuate, it is more stressful than you might imagine. At least it was for me. More on that later.

Missy & Scott Got Married. My sister got married in September. It was a beautiful and sweet ceremony at their house in Hineston. My niece, Mia, was the flower girl (and only attendant). Missy was beautiful, as always, and the ceremony was short (always good!). We had a dinner reception there in the back yard and everyone had a good time. It was nice to meet some of Scott's family for the first time.

Luau Murder Mystery. The Young Adults ministry at my church had a fun party. It was a luau murder mystery. Everyone really got into their parts and hammed it up. I loved it! I was part of the "Mermaids of the Land". We were a "synchronized" "swimming" team. I use quotes (which would be air quotes if I were telling you this story in person) because we weren't so much synchronized and we weren't swimming. We just made up a cheesy routine to a song that I would hum for you if I were telling you this story in person and you would totally recognize. I was the murderer, by the way. Apparently I was embezzling money and killed my boss. Very exciting!

New Garage Door. Back in the summer, my garage door opener stopped working. Apparently, before I moved in, someone had run into the door and that knocked it of the tracks which, over time, burnt up the motor in the opener. So, since it hasn't been working, I have to get out of my car, open the door manually, and then drive in and close the door manually. Reverse for when I leave the house. There are just a couple things about this that annoy me: (1) wasting gas while my car is idling, (2) the whole personal safety aspect when I leave in the morning at 4:45am, and (3) there is a lizard that lives in the lip of my garage door and falls out every morning when I open it. I am OK with the lizard living there because he does not come into my house and lizards eat bugs. However, one day I wasn't thinking about it and opened the door and he fell into my hair. I FREAKED OUT, as you can imagine! So, all of that to say that I got a NEW door and opener on Saturday. The
door is insulated which will help the house not get so hot in the summer and the opener is crazy quiet...like almost silent! It's awesome.

OK, that's about all I have to report out. My next blog will be about Hurricane Ike (in case you haven't heard enough about it!).

2 comments:

Mitzi and Jerry said...

My favorite part was the lizard falling into your hair and picturing in my mind your reaction! Compared to all the creatures around here, I would have to say that the lizard is my favorite.

jenn said...

Bless your heart!! (about the lizard/hair episode) I would have completely freaked, too - probably even call in 'sick' (emotional duress) to work. :) Congrats on the new door!