Monday, June 25, 2007

My Favorite Day!!

Sorry I'm terrible at keeping this up...I have lots to blog about since the trip, but I have to get the trip details out there first (I can't handle things out of order like that!).

Day 4 was my favorite day. I got to run in Central Park around the Jackie Kennedy Onassis Reservoir. It is a beautiful loop around this reservoir and the view the whole way around it is gorgeous. The loop is a little over a mile & a half, so twice around is a good 5K training run. Missy & Laury laid out on the Great Lawn while I was running. I ran for 35 minutes, then ran back to them and got my camera to take some pictures. Only I took almost an hour to do the picture taking, so when I got back, Missy & Laury were a little frantic worrying that something was wrong. Of course, I guess if they were worried enough, they could have come looking for me, but they didn't. Anyway, we headed back to the hotel after that. We ate across the street at PAX, a sandwich and soup shop. We all got different sandwiches and tasted them...all good. It was very busy with people in dressy work clothes, so we stood out like sore thumbs in our clothes for the trek to Central Park.

That afternoon, we went to Times Square to get our half-price tickets for a show. We had to be flexible since you never know what you're going to get. We ended up getting our first choice...Chicago. The whole ticket-buying thing is crazy to me. If you wait until the day of the show, you get half-price tickets if they're available. I don't understand this concept...why are they suddenly so cheap? And why would anyone pay full price if they could get them for half-price? I guess I should just reap the benefits and not question it. The line was really long, but moved fast. What made me laugh about it was that they were very strict (one might say "Nazi") about moving the line through towards the end of the line. But, once you got close to the ticket windows, it was a complete free-for-all, including pushing people out of the way. We saw two men get into an argument because one pushed the other. Which is fine, it just was very different from the end of the line, where it was very organized. So, we got our tickets and went on our merry way...

...to Madame Toussaud's Wax Museum. Let me say that we had "free" tickets to this through our New York Pass. If we hadn't, we probably wouldn't have gone to it anyway. And especially not paid the $30 to go in. And we would have been very disappointed if we had paid the $$. This place wasn't all that great. It was kind of cool to see the life-like figures of people. And it was pretty funny because we kept thinking there were more people in the room than there actually were because you have all these wax figures standing around. However, we were maybe there 30 minutes. It was just OK...nothing special. We did take a lot of pictures with the figures. My favorite is a tie between Jon Bon Jovi and Jesse Owens...I took pictures with both of them. Bon Jovi doesn't look like him at all, but I took the picture anyway...it's my favorite band ever!

Wednesday night, we got dressed up to go the show. However, we ate at Burger Heaven on the way. It's a chain of diners around town. We looked very funny in our black dresses sitting in a booth eating burgers and fries! For some reason, we took lots of pictures in Burger Heaven...I don't really remember why, though. Laury's feet were killing her, but there wasn't any easy transportation to the theatre, so we kept walking. Missy and I offered to switch shoes with her, but she didn't want to. And we never found a drugstore to buy band-aids on the way, so the poor thing just had to suffer through. I think her feet were actually bleeding!

We got to the show and sat down. There was a lady seating people who was a little too into her job...she would yell at anyone who accidentally sat in the wrong seat. Fortunately ours were on the end, so we were very clear about where to sit and didn't get yelled at : ). The show was awesome! It was Chicago and Joey Lawrence (aka Joey from Blossom and Joey from Gimme A Break and Joey from that Brothers show he made with his brothers) played Billy Flynn. It was fantastic. The lead character (Roxie)was played by the understudy. It was her first night playing the lead, but she did great. The other main character (Velma) was great. Shortly after Act 2 started, the announcer came over the sound system and said "The role of Velma will now be played by..." like they do on daytime soaps when they change actors. It was odd, especially since the lady that stepped in had been in the show as another character...it was a little confusing to follow. Regardless, the show was awesome. At the end, they explained that the actress originally playing Velma threw out her back, so they had to sub someone in...crazy! I was quite impressed with the caliber of people they had singing and dancing...I really like musicals!

We took a taxi home to spare Laury's feet any more trouble. That was all for Wednesday.

No comments: