Friday, June 08, 2007

Day 3, Part 2

Whew...Tuesday was a busy day for us! Here's the rest of what we did...

Once we left Chinatown, we went to Little Italy to eat dinner. There ended up being a street fair on Mulberry, where all the restaurants are. And when I say street "fair", I mean fair...like with the games where you fish for ducks with a magnet on a string or throw darts at balloons to win prizes. There were several stands with funnel cakes...always the sign of a classy operation...and people trying to get you to see their booths. We made it through the street fair...pretty easy since there weren't any people there...and went to a little Italian restaurant, Il Fornaio, which I found in my Zagat's guide to NY restaurants. It was decent food. The funniest thing about this restaurant was that we had 2 waiters. One young guy who loved my sister and asked her if her name was Linda (it's not). He mostly refilled our water and maybe brought us bread? We nicknamed him Mario. Our other waiter was an older guy who did not speak to us the whole time we were there. When our table was ready, he pointed at us, then pointed at the table. When he came to take our order, he just walked up to the table and stood there until we told him what we wanted to eat, then walked away...weird! We saw him talking and laughing with other people, but apparently he did not like us! When we got ready to leave, my sister asked Mario what his name was (I don't remember his real name) and he kissed her on the cheek...hysterical!

From there we took the subway up to the area near the Empire State Building and went in the Manhattan Mall. Missy & Laury shopped some, but I just sat. Then we went to H&M. I'll be honest, I wasn't too keen on going to this store. It looks a little messy in there (I never go in Abercrombie and Fitch because I want to straighten everything up in there). But, I am very glad that I did. I bought 5 tops and a skirt for $47.90. And they are totally cute tops! I've worn almost all of them already! We had a totally slow cashier named Jude who desparately needed braces. Like the older guy at Il Fornaio, Jude also pretty much ignored us except to take our money.

From there we went to the Empire State Building. Our NY Pass got us in the Express line, so it only took about half an hour to get up to the top. It was after 10:00 by the time we were there and it was a great, clear night. I got some good pictures of the views, but it was so crowded, we didn't stay out there too long. We left, then went to get some dessert at this place next door, Heartland Brewery and Grill (or something like that). They had heavenly key lime pie. Took the subway back to the hotel and crashed after our very long day!

No comments: