Tuesday, May 01, 2007

Simple Pleasures

I know, I know, I haven't written on here in forever. I can't really think of what's been keeping me so busy, except I have been just that...insanely busy! But having fun. This past weekend, I had a great time enjoying simple pleasures that I think I should enjoy more often.

Friday night, two friends of mine got married in League City. The wedding was outside and it was just beautiful. The reception was at the same place and it was so much fun, too. Lots of dancing and catching up with friends. Have I ever mentioned that I love my friends? Or that I am a terrible dancer? Like I just twirl around and always go the wrong direction. No matter how good the guy I'm dancing with is, I can not do it right. I think it's because I keep thinking for myself...always a mistake. This is one of the things that I want to get better at. Only I don't know how to do that without embarrassing myself horrendously. Well, that's never stopped me from doing anything else, so why should it now? I'll keep you posted on my progress.

Saturday, I went to the International Festival in Houston. This is one of the reasons that I have fallen in love with Houston...much like Louisiana, there is some sort of festival or event any given weekend. The iFest has been around for like 40 years. This year, the feature country was China. Which was really cool. The funny part about this International festival is that there were 4 kind of highlighted areas of the world..China, Jamaica, Texas, and Louisiana. It made me laugh! I was very happy, though, because the Louisiana section had Zydeco music. My friend, Maradee, and I sat and listened until we couldn't stand the heat anymore. Turns out that I work with one of the guys in the band! Oh, I also had a real snowcone...first one of the season. It was delightful! They let you put on your own flavors, so I got to soak it with the flavors I love (rainbow of cherry, grape, and blue bubblegum...best snowcome flavors EVER!). Anyway, we left there and went down to Bacliff (smaller than a dot on the map) and ate at this great restaurant, Clifton by the Sea. I have been there several times and I've never had a bad experience. I highly recommend it. They had a live band, too. We sat outside like 20 feet from the water and listened to a Louisiana bluesey Zydeco band. I was so happy! The last few years, one of my favorite "simple pleasures" has been to be outside, no matter what. I feel like I'm just soaking up outside air to make up for the first 27 years of my life when I sat inside all the time! I had plenty of opportunity to aborb the sun and the outside air and lots of other things on Saturday. After dinner, we watched Raising Arizona. This is a really funny movie that I have not seen in forever. My favorite line by far is..."Do these balloons blow up into funny shapes?" "No, unless you think round is funny." Cracks me up!!

Sunday, I got to run in the morning before church. Did you know that I love running? I do. It is so nice and peaceful and all up to me...no one else can do it for me. And it's not easy, which means I have to work at it, which I love. Anyway, I went running with one of my favorite people to run with. It is getting hotter, so it's not quite as easy as it was a few months ago, but still great. There were so many people where we were. Unfortunately, there were also dogs. I only got scared once, though (for those that don't know, I'm terrified of dogs!). Sunday afternoon, I went to play Ultimate Frisbee, but not many people showed up, so we just tossed the Frisbee around. This is also one of my favorite things in the world to do. And I am terrible at it. I really don't care. The thing I love about it is that I get to run alot. I don't even have to because it's not like I impact the outcome of the game (except negatively), but I still run up and down the field the whole time. It is heavenly! Sunday night was group. I also love my group (I am loving a lot of things today!). We are doing another cool study and we had good discussion. Then we went to dinner for good fellowship.

OK, OK, I have got to stop writing such long posts. Sorry. If you made it this far, thanks for bearing with me. I'll write again soon about Mayhaw Jelly and why I'm a crazy person (think marathon!). I am loving my life these days!

1 comment:

Christy said...

Sounds great Jenny! I'm so glad to hear that you are loving life!