Wednesday, May 30, 2007

Mayhaw Jely & Why I Am Crazy

I promised in my last post to tell you about Mayhaw jelly and why I'm crazy, so here's a short blurb about that...BTW, they have nothing to do with each other.

First, mayhaw jelly. My grandmother used to make it and, if you've had mayhaw jelly, you are missing out. It's totally a Louisiana thing (I think because so many people have never heard of it). This man at work was auctioning some off to benefit the Relay for Life and I know him. I bid on the jelly in the auction, but it was a little too rich for my blood ($37!!!). Since I know him, I pestered him to bring me some for free, which he did and it is so good! I have only eaten it once because I am saving it to eat with really good biscuits. I had some Popeye's biscuits a few weeks ago, so I ate some of the jelly. Such a treat!

OK, on to why I am a crazy person. I have decided that I want to qualify for and run the Boston marathon. The reason that this is insane is that there are qualifying times for Boston based on your age. If I wanted to qualify right now, I would have to run another marathon in under 3 hours and 40 minutes. I have done one full marathon and I did that in 5 hours and 37 minutes. So, clearly, I have some room to improve. The crazy part is that this is kind of phyiscally impossible for me. But, I've written it down on my list of things to do before I die. Yes, I have a list that also includes things like take tennis lessons (check!), see a Superbowl in person, and live in Washington, DC for a year! So, now that it's written down, I have to do it. Sigh...I think I will be very happy and relaxed when I'm dead and can't work on all of these goals anymore : ).

1 comment:

Christy said...

I heard a recipe that i want to try with mayhaw jelly. you throw some chicken on the grill and after it browns, you start basting it with mayhaw jelly. supposedly that's all you have to do to it and it gives it great flavor. I need to go find some jelly so I can try it!