Sunday, October 07, 2007

New Babies, Greek Food, LSU Football, and Wings Over Houston

On Thursday night, I got to meet little Miss Madelyn Avery. She is the daughter of one of my oldest and dearest friends, Shanna. Despite not letting anyone else get any rest, Madelyn seems to be getting HER beauty rest because she is beautiful. Here are a couple pics. Apparently, she always sleeps with her arms straight out to the side. So cute! Also, two people I work with had babies last week and one other co-worker is due this Tuesday...it's an epidemic!


My weekend was fantastic. A group of us ate dinner at Taco C, then came back to my house with the intention of watching a movie. Instead, we watched three episodes of What Not to Wear. The lone male of the group left during episode 2 (sorry, Jim!). Saturday, I set my alarm for 6am with grand plans of running the Race for the Cure. However, it was storming outside and I happily snuggled back into bed. I got 2 extra hours of sleep and boy did I need them!
Maradee picked me up mid-morning and we headed downtown to the Greek Fest. This is the second year we've gone. Last year, we got there late and there weren't any festivities...just a bunch of people and food. We enjoyed the food and ended up hanging out with some of her friends, but didn't get to soak up the full festival experience. So, this year we went early in the day...very early, apparently. There weren't many people there at all, which we enjoyed. We got the same food as last year (funny, huh?) and enjoyed the festival atmosphere by shopping and watching a Greek dance exhibition. The kids from the local school did lots of different Greek dances and they were great. We both liked these dances because it seems like you don't have to be very good or precise at them and everybody just kind of goes with the flow. Neither of us are headed for Dancing with the Stars!

We left Greek Fest with the intention of going to Wings Over Houston, which we had already bought tickets for. Only it was raining when we got back to Clear Lake. So, we headed to my house...no need to stand in the rain and stare at nothing (no planes flying in the rain, you know). We were watching football when we heard the planes over my house. The rain had stopped, so we ended up walking to a local park to watch (OK, I made us turn off before the park, so we were actually on a dead-end street along with about 30 other people). We talked to this nice man who had been in the Air Force during the Korean War, so he knew lots about planes and told us all about the formations. We had a great view of the feature flying act, The Canadian Snowbirds. They were very cool and I tried my best to take pics of them. Between the glaring sun and their speed, I got a lot of pictures of the pretty blue sky. I did manage a couple with planes actually in the picture. The funniest part of this adventure is that the cotton candy man and the ice cream truck came to our street, just like we were paying customers at the actual air show. We were hot, so we bought treats from the ice cream truck. So funny!

LSU played last night, so Maradee hung out and we watched the game. We were both very tense the whole game, but in the end they won...whew! Geaux Tigers! AND USC LOST!!!!! Yay!!!!!
Today, I actually made it to the airshow (wanted to use those tickets I'd already paid for!). It was even cooler than yesterday's vantage point. There were lots of cool planes on display, including one that was trapped under a glacier in Greenland for 50 years and one of the Hurricane Hunter planes and 2 NASA planes...so neat! However, my camera batteries were dead, so I didn't get any pictures : ( . But I did have fun! The rain came again, so the Snowbirds were cut short, but it was still a great show. They had a truck race a plane...this truck has 3 or 5 jet engines on the back of it and kind of scared me. Everybody in the crowd really liked that part, but I was more fascinated by the airshow itself. And all of this was 2 miles from my house...I love living here!
Oh yeah, I ran 9 miles this morning...yay me!

1 comment:

Michelle said...

ummm, just post one good pic of the quad. that's all i'm asking. :)