Thursday, February 01, 2007

Adventure Racing Day Two

So, I have decided that I am insane. Not as insane as my coaches in my Adventure Racing (AR) training program, but I am still insane. I decided this last night as I was wandering around Memorial Park in 40 degree weather in a slight mist. Last night was the first night of our Navigation (or Orienteering) practice. We get a grid map and a UTM ruler, along with coordinates of points that have been set up along the course. We have to find the points and write down the letter that is on a baton that is tied to a tree at those points. At one of the points last night, there were prizes and I got a compass! It took my partner and I an hour and fifteen minutes to find all of these points. And I'm pretty sure last night was an easy night. The navigation was in Memorial Park, along the running loop. Only they are all about 50 to 100 meters off the trail. I really was pushing tree limbs out of my face to walk to the points. We ran in between them (thank goodness because it only got colder!). There were 5 points we had to find and none of them were easy. Fortunately, my partner had done one AR before, so he had some tips on what to do. I actually do like the concept of having to find stuff using a map and coordinates, but it is just way too muddy in all these places for a sane person to be at night. Oh, did I mention that it was dark the whole time?

All in all, I am enjoying my AR training. It's just funny how I ended up getting into it and all the stuff I need to get to support it. I am now the proud owner of a Sevylor (inflatable) kayak, 2 inflatable seats, a life jacket, and a kayak paddle. Actually got a good deal on them from a former AR trainee that won't be using them again.

So, nothing else exciting going on. I'm running my last long run to prepare for the Austin Half-Marathon, which is on February 18th, this weekend. I think we're going to run 12 miles, plus the Kemah bridge. Once we get through all of that, we'll have run more than the actual half. That's fine, though, because the race will have more hills, so longer distance will help us. I can't wait!

4 comments:

knelson said...

How exciting! I am so glad you have updated!! Some of my college girls just ran the Houston Half-marathon and LOVED it. Good luck with your training. And the New Years wedding sounded so great - what a wonderful idea! Love you -

Stacy said...

ok that's just insane. though the visual of your running around in the dark through the trees in the mud all for a letter on a baton did make me laugh...i think it's even funnier that you got yourself into this by bidding on something without realizing what it was :) can't wait for the next installment...

Christy said...

My main thought was: At least with it being so cold, you don't have to worry about snakes! I'm glad you are (somewhat) enjoying it!

Anonymous said...

Awesome read ! summertime break out the Sevylor.